Updated on Sepember 12, 2016
Have you heard about the Long Tail Pro keyword research tool? Maybe you haven’t, but if you’re trying to make your website rank on search engines, you at least know what long tail keywords are used for. This is my review of Long Tail Pro, a keyword suggestion and analysis tool that has significantly increased the performance of my blogs in organic search.
Anybody who knows anything about marketing understands the value of keywords. They are a vital part of the search engine optimization process (SEO) for any website that is hoping to reach the highest echelons of the search engines. Even when the likes of Google introduce tweaks and stipulations to the algorithms that they use to limit the effect of keywords, these magical words still have a large say whether a site will be indexed at the top of a search result, or lost in obscurity amongst the mass of webpages that make up the World Wide Web.
While importance has definitely shifted to quality content – thanks for that Google – internet marketers still place a lot of importance on the use, placing and frequency of keywords in their reviews. In days gone past, it was simply a case of littering your content with relevant keywords that the search engines would then pick up on and index your webpage. Now, however, you have to be a little bit cuter when choosing on how to use your keywords.
1) The Question Is… Which Keywords are the best ones to use?
This was the question that caused me, as an internet marketer, all kinds of trouble. And more than one headache, I may add. I understood that it was now necessary to write in a fluent, natural way to avoid Google penalising me for over-using keywords, but that just made it all that more important that the SEO keywords that I did intend on using were the best ones available to me.
For this task, I decided that I needed a bit of professional help. I was already aware that there was a plethora of keyword research tools available, all of which promised the same thing – the capabilities of finding the most profitable SEO keywords in a short space of time. After spending some time and effort researching the top five of these keyword sorting tools, I settled on my choice – Long Tail Pro. This product has received rave reviews since its launch and several of my marketing buddies would swear on their own kids that it’s a must have piece of software for internet marketers. After thoroughly testing and using Long Tail Pro, I cannot help but agree!
Click Here To See What The Fuss Is All About!!! Get $50 Discount on Long Tail Pro
2) What Exactly Is Long Tail Pro?
Created by an internet marketer by the name of Spencer Haws, whose purpose for designing this nifty piece of software was similar to my own need – to find long tail keywords that he could use in his written content. This is so very significant nowadays because by targeting these long tail keywords or search phrases, the traffic to your website can be increased dramatically at a speedy rate with organic traffic from Google and other search engines.
The truly great thing about this product, though, is that it’s not just all about longtail keyword research. There are also plenty more aspects of this product that can greatly help internet marketers. I’ll be going into these aspects in this review.
3) Key Features And Benefits:
- Mouse hover “tooltips” for summary of options function
- Quickly toggle between the setting and keyword page
- Step by step instructional videos
- One-time payment for Long Tail Pro – no sneaky add-ons
- This product is immediately downloadable after purchase
- Free lifetime updates
- “Wish list” requests for new features in future versions
- Free access to the Long Tail Pro user community
- Discover the long tail keywords that are generated from a seed keyword or phrase
- Compare the results in terms of Average CPC, volume of local searches, and the level of advertiser competition; i.e. high, medium, low
4) How Do I use it?
The short answer is that I use it every day! In terms of day-to-day use, Long Tail Pro helps me with my niche keyword searches. I really do find this tool invaluable and very rarely have it closed on my laptop; usually just leaving it open on my desktop for quick access.
While this product is very easy to use and is quite straightforward despite its tremendous quality, the creators of Long Tail Pro do take newbies to internet marketing into account by including a series of “How To Videos”. These 9 step by step instructional videos will guide you through the various features of this product. Experienced marketers might be tempted to skip this process but my advice would be to watch them, no matter what level of IM you are at – they don’t take long and the videos are very informative.
- 1 – How to Install Long Tail Pro
- 2 – How to Setup a New Campaign
- 3 – How to Use the “Include” and “Exclude” Keywords Feature
- 4 – How to Use “Fetch Additional Data” (Global Search Volume, Domains, and Title Competition)
- 5 – How to Use Filters and Set Default Campaign Settings
- 6 – Understanding the Keyword Results Screen
- 7 – How to Use the Competitor Analysis
- 8 – How to Find Low Competition Keywords with the Competitor Analysis
- 9 – How to Use the Rank Checker
Long Tail Platinum (Only available with this package):
- 10 – How to Import up to 10,000 Keywords at Once
- 11 – How to Save and Use Favourites
- 12 – How to Use “Avg. KC” on Keyword Results
- 13 – Understanding the Average Keyword Competitiveness Number
All of these videos that make up the demo series are very user friendly and can obviously be reviewed in the future for additional help. You also receive a user manual in the form of Adobe Acrobat PDF which is well worth looking over.
Step-by-Step Guide to Using LongTailPro
With Long Tail Pro you can uncover plenty of profitable and low competition keywords in virtually any niche. By using the keyword suggestion tool you can turn your research into profit and determine whether or not it is possible to rank for a given keyword by analysing your competition. If you’re having trouble getting started with Long Tail Pro, read the step-by-step guide I’ve outlined below.
#Step 1: Create your Campaign
The first thing you need to do is to create your new campaign. If you’re trying to rank for US/UK or Canada make sure you are using English as your language. You should only select a country if you’re targeting local SEO keywords.
You will want to connect your Google AdWords account to LongTail pro before you begin. If you don’t have one, you can set it up today. It’s free. This will enable you to generate approximately 800 keywords per seed keywords.
#Step 2: Add your Seed Keywords & Generate Ideas
The next step is to type in the keywords that you are interested in ranking on. Even if you aren’t sure what types of long tails you’re looking for, you can type in words that describe your niche, like ‘wedding’, ‘cooking’, ‘marketing’ etc. This will help you get started. Technically, you can add multiple seed keywords at the same time, but I suggest limiting your searches to a maximum of 4-5.
According to the tool’s user manual, you should insert no more than 15 keywords in one hour. Otherwise you risk having your AdWords account banned for a period of time. Another problem with running too many keywords at the same time is Google itself – overworking the tool may result in errors from the data source.
I started with five seed keywords for the ‘wedding rentals’ niche and obtained over 3000 keywords in less than 3 minutes. Long tail pro is one of the fastest keyword tools I have used.
#Step 3: Apply Filters to your Keywords
Manually browsing through hundreds, if not thousands of keywords can be extremely annoying. The good news is that with Long Tail Pro you can sort keywords by applying filters. These filters include, but are not limited to ‘average local searches’, ‘ average global searches’, ‘number of words’, ‘advertiser competition’, average keyword competitiveness’, ‘domain availability’ and ‘suggested bid’.
Clicking on a keyword will prompt a drop-down menu that displays the sites which are currently ranking at the top of SERPs for the given phrase. Information such as page authority, page links, link juice, domain authority, Mozrank, page rank and site age are also displayed. These metrics will help you determine, realistically, if optimizing your page for that keyword will push you at the top of SERPs.
Long Tail Pro can also be used if you’re trying to build a new website. Exact match domains may not be as powerful as they were before, but they still factor into your rankings. Using Long Tail Pro’s ‘Fetch Additional data’ Feature you can check the domain availability of your keywords. You can even filter your results according to TLDs, for more accurate results. Keywords that do not have available domains will be removed for your list.
Google Title Competition and Bing Title Competition filters show the number of results in the search engines that are using the given keywords within the title of their page. Make sure you wait at least 5 seconds between queries to avoid having your IP address blocked on Google. Bing does not have such limitations, so the Title Competition feature is a great way to pull large amounts of data.
#Step 4: Calculate Keyword Competitiveness
The first thing you should know is that the Keyword Competitiveness feature is only available with the platinum version of Long Tail Pro. SemRush has a similar feature, called the ‘Keyword difficulty’ tool, but the values provided by the two keyword research tools are very different. Considering that Long Tail Pro pulls data from AdWords, I am inclined to believe that the Keyword Competitiveness (or difficulty), is presented more accurately by it.
The score for keyword competitiveness is calculated on a scale of 0 to 100 (0- very easy to rank for, 100- impossible to rank for). The lower the score, the higher your chances for ranking for that keyword. Keywords with a competitiveness level ranging from 0 to 30 are considered low competition, those with a score from 30 to 50 are considered moderate competition, and anything over 50 is considered high competition.
Long Tail Pro uses a complex algorithm that analyses important factors (like URL, page authority, juice page links, domain authority, mozRank, Page Rank etc.) that of the top 10 Google Results for a given keywords.
#Step 5: Evaluate your Performance with the Rank Checker Tool
One of my favorite Long Tail Pro features is the rank checker. As the name suggests, this tool will evaluate your rankings for a set of keywords. Simply fill in your website URL and keywords and the keyword research software will pull out the data. The Rank Checker will give you information about your rankings on Bing, Yahoo and Google.
5) Things Needed To Operate This Product
There’s nothing more infuriating that, after installing your new piece of software, you are then told that you need some other piece of software in order for the first bit to work! Maddening, I know. Fortunately, however, the only two things that are needed for successful operating of Long Tail Pro are the latest version of Adobe Air and a Google AdWords account.
6) The Nitty Gritty
Once you get through the tutorials video, the product itself is divided into three different interlocking modules.
Module 1 – Keyword Research Module:
- Enter seed keywords and then get the tool to generate hundreds of related terms
- Choose between broad, phrase or exact keyword matches as a basis for finding search volumes
- Opt to receive additional info or not
- There are a number of different filters that you can apply
- Tool includes a count of sites that have a particular phrase in its title
- Export facility so you can download your list of keywords into a spreadsheet for future use
Module 2 – Computer Analysis Module:
- Tool analyses the sites that are the top 10 results for any given keyword and gives a very comprehensive output of data
Module 3 – Rank Checker Module:
- Enter your site’s URL and then the keywords that you are trying to rank for and get back data on the position of each term
7) Some Pros I’ve Discovered:
- The ability to discover hidden profitable buyer keywords within seconds
- Search individual or multiple seed keywords
- Advanced search filters – eliminate keywords that you have no interest in
- Search for exact match domains as soon as your long tail phrases are generated
- The ability to accurately check your website’s rankings in Google, Yahoo and Bing
- Comes with a full 60 day money back guarantee
8) Possible Future Improvement
- It can take the Long Tail Pro a little while to pull up long lists of related terms. Though, in saying this, I have yet to come across a keyword research tool that doesn’t. With every such tool, the more you ask of them the longer it will take to deliver
9) Other Important Features
As I alluded to earlier, there are some other aspects of Long Tail Pro that add to its overall quality. They are:
- It is possible to further refine your keyword generation by using optional elements such as “Fetch Additional Data”. This can give you info on domain availability, inclusive of exact match domains (EMD) and hyphenated domains, for the major tip level domains (TLD).
- You can also use optional “Filters” which further narrow down your long tail keyword selections. These options are discussed in detail in the user manual.
- You can level up the information that you have available and not just focus on the long tail keyword generation. This is because you can also perform Competitor Analysis and Rank Checking in the same interface that you used for long tail keyword generation.
10) Some FAQs That I’ve been asked
Is there any customer support available?
Of course. The team at Long Tail Pro are very responsive to any queries. I’ve found them all to be genuine internet marketers like myself. Very quick reply time as well in my experience.
Are there multiple installations available?
Yes, I have it on both Mac and Apple products. Once purchase is complete you can install it on three different devices without any extra charge.
What do I do after I find my keywords?
Now comes the hard part – writing compelling, sellable content that will entice readers to click on your cash links. My advice? Practise makes perfect!
Will Long Tail Pro work on Mac and Apple products?
Yes it does. I have tried this tool on both platforms and have had no problems.
What is the cost?
- Download the free trial version for 10 days and then decide.
- Purchase the standard package for a one-time fee of $77.
- Purchase the Premium package for a one-time fee of $77 and a following $17 per month thereafter. Can cancel at any time.
Is there a steep learning curve?
No. Once you go through the course thoroughly as I’ve described then you will be able to use the software immediately. That’s one of the great things about this product – there’s no attempt at over elaboration. Everything is explained in simple English.
Is Long Tail Pro better than Market Samurai?
After thoroughly using both for a good period, it’s my opinion the LTP is far smoother, easier to use, and economical than Market Samurai. MS still has good points, but I just don’t think it’s on the same level as Long Tail Pro. Plus, Market Samurai is more expensive at $149.
Is it necessary to go Platinum?
Honestly, I would say yes. If you have made the decision to invest in a product then why not get the best version available? Also, the platinum version reports an average keyword competition value for each keyword which is a handy tool to have.
If you are in the market for a powerful, easy to use and super effective keyword research tool that offers so much more than just keyword research, then Long Tail Pro is the product for you.
If truth be told, the majority of keyword research tools on the market today are time consuming, poorly explained, and quite awkward to actually use. Long Tail Pro offers the exact opposite to all of these things.
Thank you for reading my review and best of luck with whatever route that you decided to go down.
Click Here To BUY The Long Tail Pro Now!!!
Note: some features are only available in the Platinum package and not in the Standard one.